[Equest-users] Splitting a space in detailed mode

Robert Stephenson rstephenson at veic.org
Fri Sep 20 05:55:46 PDT 2013

Hi Gerald,

It sounds like you are on the right track with copying the polygons. My advice would be to copy the original polygon twice, once for each of the new spaces, and then delete the irrelevant half from each of those new polygons to define the two new spaces. Leave your original space polygon in the model.

For the first new space, you reassign the original space you are splitting to the first of the new polygons. Reassign walls by Location (VX of space polygon), and they should automatically take on the length and height required. You will likely have to reposition windows and for interior walls redefine the Next To definition to the appropriate adjacent space. Some existing walls will need to be deleted, but you will rebuild them in the next step. Jumping around between the 2D and 3D views has been helpful for me when doing this type of thing in the past.

For the second space, create a new space within your Floor and set the polygon for this space to the second polygon you created above. If you use the same X, Y, and Z coordinates of the original space, everything should line up. You can then create new interior/exterior walls and associated objects as required. Copying them from other existing walls makes this easy, just reassign the Location (VX of space polygon).

This should avoid the error you highlighted in your message, as you are not actively editing a polygon used by any existing space when working with the two copies. Hope that was clearer than mud…

Robert Stephenson
Technical Energy Analyst
VEIC Evaluation, Measurement and Verification Services
Burlington, 05401
802 540 7809
www.veic.org<http://www.veic.org/>