[Equest-users] Fwd: Composition of weather file data

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Feb 11 20:12:43 PST 2014

Aru,

Your multiple mention of the EPW Indian weather files all being from
1990 finally stirred me to do some digging, since I've been providing
technical
assistance to ISHRAE since 2007, first in improving the solar on the
first set of files for 58 Indian locations developed by ISHRAE , and
then in creating a totally new second set of files for 38 locations
completed in 2011.

I have checked the first set of ISHRAE weather files for 58 locations in
India (these are the ones provided by ISHRAE to DOE to put on the
EnergyPlus Weather web site as EPWs), and yes those all say 1990s for
all months.  However, the documentation dated Sept. 1998 states that the
raw data  contain from 5 to 10 years of historical data.  So, it may
very well be that these files may actually contain months from different
years, but I can't vouch for that since that was done before my involvement.

I do have a good memory on the second set of weather files, since I was
involved in their creation.  Those are definitely  "typical year" files
created from 15 years of data when available, but in a few cases I
settled for as few as 3 due to data scarcity. The key point in the
second set is that I calculated the solar radiation against
satellite-derived solar values that just became available in 2010.  The
final files were provided to ISHRAE in early 2011, but I have no
information on their distribution or availability, which is completely
in their hands.  If you're interested, I can provide you with a contact
person at ISHRAE.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.