G3.1.2.2 Equipment Capacities

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Mon Jun 9 07:59:27 PDT 2014

I made the comment below a while back on equest-users. Has anyone gotten any LEED comments that either confirm or challenge my interpretation?
Thanks,
Bill

My understanding has always been that the G3.1.2.2 oversizing requirement should be met by setting the COOL-SIZING-RATI to 1.15, the HEAT-SIZING-RATI to 1.25 and the SYSTEM:SIZING-RATIO to 1.00 for all baseline systems. The system sizing ratio acts as a multiplier on airflows as well as a multiplier on the cool and heat sizing ratios, so you could accomplish the cooling and heating oversizing by setting system sizing ratio to 1.15, the cool sizing ratio to 1.00 and the heat sizing ratio to 1.09. However, you would then be oversizing the airflow as well. While earlier versions of ASHRAE 90.1 did not elaborate on what exactly should be multiplied, 90.1-2010 specifically says "system coil capacities" shall be oversized. So we should be leaving the system sizing ratio at 1.00 and only oversizing via the cool and heat sizing ratios.

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[ASHRAE Certified logo - greenshot 2]  [cid:image002.jpg at 01CF83D1.E104B7A0]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[earth for signature]Sustainability - the forest AND the trees.