[Equest-users] Space by Space LPD requirements for 90.1 modeling

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 05:32:28 PDT 2014

historically this is not correct.  see the 90.1 user's manual example
9-J, page 9-17 of the 2007 version (similar location in 2004, i don't
have 2010 or 2013 handy to check page number).  the total allowance for
the building is 1.22 w/sf ... compare this to the 1.17 w/sf determined
for the same building example 9-H (building area method).

also on page 9-16, 1st paragraph, "rather than looking up the lighting
power allowance for the entire building, the lighting power allowance is
determined separately for each space within the building and then summed."

so unless you've got multiple occupancy space types (core/shell/tenants)
where you'd want to do trade-offs (you can't trade off between tenant
spaces using building area method & tenant spaces using space-by-space
method).

unless it's changed in 2010/2013 of course ... or there're ashrae
interpretations otherwise but this is how it's been traditionally
enforced by usgbc/local authorities where i'm at.

that being said the last sentence in paragraph 1 of page 9-16 reads
"even though the designer must develop lighting that works in each
space, it may be simpler for code compliance purposes to use the
building area method."  so this might be what the reviewer is reading.