[Equest-users] Indoor fan separation at ARI

Bishop, Bill bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com
Tue Jun 9 06:23:49 PDT 2015

Omar,

I wrote the following fan power email previously so it is not specific to your case, but it may be helpful and includes an important caution on defaults. To your specific question, fan power is calculated per G3.1.2.9. There are static pressure allowances for baseline PSZ if applicable to your case, listed in 6.5.3.1.1. There are a few tools available to help calculate the fan power for Appendix G if you don’t create your own, such as EMIT from Rocky Mount Institute<http://www.rmi.org/ModelingTools>.

There are two ways to enter system fan power – using either SUPPLY-STATIC and SUPPLY-EFF, or using SUPPLY-DELTA-T and SUPPLY-KW/FLOW. These inputs are shown here:

[http://ARCHIVER.PATHFINDER-EA.COM:8080/cgi-mod/getstubbedattachment.cgi/image004.jpg?charset=utf-8&cid=image004.jpg%4001CDEA94.E3CF3780&delivery=1357351320&len=35534&md5=6075eb6dd225742240674662c0eec1c0&mid=45c6611a05a825b62347e012aae8664ad408abdbe8db2cb944d695b0c4aa42ef2ade843d]

I have found that it generally makes sense to enter SUPPLY-KW/FLOW (in kW/cfm), because it can be easily calculated if you have the fan BHP, and because baseline ASHRAE 90.1-Appendix G system fan power is calculated the same way.
The eQUEST wizard generates values for static and efficiency. You can see in the screen shot above that I have created and applied a user-defined default value of 0.0003 kW/cfm. However, I have not “restored default” to the static and efficiency values assigned by the wizard. Since the static and efficiency values are red, these are considered user inputs, which override user-defined defaults. In the example above, my user-defined default value has not been used, resulting in lower-than-intended fan power. To remove the unwanted values in red above, you can right-click and “restore default”, which in this case will leave an empty box for static and “n/a” for efficiency. The quicker way to do this for a model with many systems is to do a find-and-replace in the input file and delete all the lines with “SUPPLY-STATIC” and “SUPPLY-EFF”.

This concludes this episode of D’oh! How could I miss that?!

William Bishop, PE, BEMP, BEAP, CEM, LEED AP | Pathfinder Engineers & Architects LLP
Senior Energy Engineer

[cid:image007.jpg at 01D0A295.FDE1B9C0]  [cid:image008.jpg at 01D0A295.FDE1B9C0]

134 South Fitzhugh Street                 Rochester, NY 14608

T: (585) 698-1956                        F: (585) 325-6005

bbishop at pathfinder-ea.com<mailto:wbishop at pathfinder-ea.com>             www.pathfinder-ea.com<http://www.pathfinder-ea.com/>

[http://png-5.findicons.com/files/icons/977/rrze/720/globe.png]Carbon Fee and Dividend - simple, effective, and market-based.