[Equest-users] Indoor fan separation at ARI

Elizabeth Gillmor elizabeth at energetics-eng.com
Tue Jun 9 07:09:00 PDT 2015

I seem to get this comment frequently so I have it all typed out as a stock
LEED comment response.  The advice you received is correct. You can use the
following formulas for fan power and EIR:

kW/cfm = BHP / 0.746 * Fan Motor Efficiency     (<----from Appendix G)

BHP = CFM * 0.0013 + Pressure Drop Adjustment

The baseline EIR is then calculated with fan energy modeled separately,
using the following formula (same as what eQuest uses in Wizard mode):

[image: Inline image 1]

Where ARI Fan Power = fan power at rated ARI conditions (W/Btuh), and CAP =
total cooling capacity (Btuh).  At rated ARI conditions, the supply fan is
rated at 0.365 kW/cfm and 400 cfm/ton, such that:

[image: Inline image 2]

When normalizing the cooling capacity, the formula is:

[image: Inline image 3]

When applied to a baseline EER=9.5, the resulting EIR=0.3051.  The eQuest
wizard will also do this for you correctly, but usually at LEED submittal
time we are all well past the wizard phase, so the formulas above are handy
to have.

Good luck!

Elizabeth

*Elizabeth Gillmor  PE, LC, LEED AP*

*e n e r g e t i c s  **consulting engineers, llc*
energetics-eng.com
c 303.619.0091