[Equest-users] Condensing boiler curve issues

Porter, Frederick NOR fporter at noresco.com
Mon Sep 28 15:06:56 PDT 2015

Adam,
I think you are conflating the rated hot water return temperature input for the eQUEST boiler model, and simulated hourly hot water loop return temperatures.

When that rated return temperature input for the eQ boiler model is changed, that is a change in the boiler rating point, not a change in the simulated hourly temperatures of the modeled hot water loop. Increasing the rated boiler HWT, implies that the boiler is more efficient at warmer return temperatures. The parametric doesn’t show any changes to HW loop-design T, control strategies, reset schedules if applicable, design dT, minimum flows or other loop inputs that would actually change the hourly HW return Ts.  So I think the program is doing what it should do given the varied inputs; that is the simulated hourly HWRT is really staying the same, but the modeled boiler efficiency is increasing at those temperatures as you increase the boiler rated HWRT.

If you leave the boiler rated HWRT input constant at an appropriate value for the selected boiler you are trying to simulate, and vary the HW loop design and control characteristics to simulate raising or lowering the loop HWRT, you should see results more in line w/your expectations; the annual boiler efficiency will go up as the simulated hourly loop return temperatures go down. There is no direct input for HW loop return temperature; it is a function of the inputs mentioned above, and probably a few others. Achieving these desired low HWRTs is not a trivial matter in actual operation of commercial HW heating loops, so be careful not to be too optimistic.

Fred
Fred Porter, BEMP, LEED© AP
Principal Engineer
Sustainability Services
NORESCO
2540 Frontier Ave, Suite 100, Boulder, CO  80301
fporter at noresco.com<mailto:fporter at noresco.com>
www.noresco.com<http://www.noresco.com>

Confidentiality Note:
Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information herein by anyone other than the intended recipient, or an employee or agent of a system responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender and delete all copies.