[Trace-users] Fan power

Christian Kaltreider ckaltreider at sudassociates.com
Fri Apr 11 13:55:49 PDT 2014

John,

I see two things which are likely culprits.

1.       As Alex pointed out, the fan power in the Proposed model seems
high.  Looking at your "Equipment Energy Consumption" output report, I see
that the fan kW for the Proposed model is more than twice as high as that
for the Pretend model, though the supply CFMs are similar.

2.       Looking at the same report, I notice that the fans never come close
to drawing their full power (looking at monthly demand) in the Pretend
model, which is unusual.  This indicates that the energy model is never
seeing close to design conditions.  Meanwhile, the Proposed model does reach
its maximum fan kW or close to it at some point in every month of the year.
Looking through your model, I think a reason for this difference could be
your 'people' schedules.  They are set to 0% in the Pretend model.  Since
your fans are set to cycle with occupancy, this will have a large effect on
run time as well as cooling load.  I would suggest taking a close look at
all of your schedules to make sure they are the same between models.

I hope that helps,

Christian

Christian Kaltreider, LEED AP | Energy Analyst

Sud Associates, P.A. | T 828.255.4691 | F 828.255.4949 |
www.sudassociates.com