[BLDG-SIM] Energy Modeling Software Recommendations for Architects

CK Tang ckmail at pd.jaring.my
Sun Jun 24 20:59:51 PDT 2007

Robert,

I have been using the full IES <Virtual Environment> for a while now and
it keeps getting better. It use to need quite a bit of background to use
it, but recently it has included a quick 'advisor' for new users that
requires minimum input to get started. The modeling in IES is very easy
to learn but limited in capability as I know that there are better 3D
modeling software out there, but it also takes slightly longer to learn
too. For really advance modeling, IES now links through an api
connection to the Autodesk Revit suite - it makes complex modeling much
easier and quicker as long as you know how to use Revit.

A really nice new feature in the IES <Virtual Environment> is their new
Sustainability Toolkit it has dynamic thermal modeling (energy, carbon
and thermal comfort); ASHRAE/CIBSE loads calculations; solar shading
animations; daylighting assessments with LEED daylighting reports with
just a couple of clicks. But the best thing I like about it, is that it
also allows me to conduct in-depth study whenever I needed it to gain a
complete understanding of building physic that is happening to the
building design.

Give it a try, is what I would recommend to you. I think they offer free
trials.

Kind regards,

CK