[Bldg-sim] help in PhD research - solar chimney simulation

James Lo ljameslo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:17:03 PST 2009

Leticia,

Due to the specific geometry and convection based airflow that might
occur in the chimney, I'd suggest you to run a CFD (computational
fluid dynamics) analysis for this. You can assign different heat
gains from your solar surfaces (base on weather data I assume), then
figure out the flow rate and flow regime inside the chimney. I think
this is more a airflow/heat transfer problem than an energy simulation problem.

The good thing about using CFD in this case is that you can then do a
parametric analysis for many different variables you might consider
to look into. As for what CFD program to use, it will depend on what
your university have available. I would think Fluent Airpak will do
nicely in your case.

hope this helps

- James Lo