Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Run around coil for air loop

When faced with node connection errors, the first thing to try is searching the
idf file for the node names mentioned in the error message.  For example, the
first error is

   ** Severe  ** Error in Node="MAIN HEATING COIL 1 OUTLET NODE", Inlet node
did not find an appropriate matching "outlet" node.
   **   ~~~   ** Reference Object=COIL:WATER:COOLINGHEATEXCHANGERASSISTED,
Name=HEAT EXCHANGER ASSISTED COOLING COIL 1

Searching for "MAIN HEATING COIL 1 OUTLET NODE" in the idf file finds only one
occurence:

COIL:Water:CoolingHeatExchangerAssisted,
    Heat Exchanger Assisted Cooling Coil 1,  !- Name of the heat exchanger
assisted cooling coil
    Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- Inlet node name

If a node name only appears once, that is a sure sign it is probably wrong
(unless it is a zone air node).  Almost every other type of node should be used
in more than one place.  I believe this is supposed to be "Main Heating Coil
Outlet Node 1"?  Hopefully this should help you track down any other remaining
node connection errors.

Mike

On 25 Jan 2005, at 18:03, Sam Roose wrote:

> Thanks Don. You were right first time ­ a heat exchanger assisted cooling
> coil was what I was after.
> I have uploaded a progress file to the ³Problem Submittals/ Sam Roose
> folder² which runs, but has some node connection errors (I am not concerned
> about the other erros at this stage). I have made an attempt at the air loop
> branches (there are two separate loops), however I am not sure that putting just
> the fan, heating coil and heat exchange assisted coil onto this branch is
> sufficient. The one example file I have found for this (which uses
> FurnaceHeatCool) uses the Air Loop Outlet Node as the exhaust node for the heat
> exchanger air but there appears to be a problem with this node in my file. How
> can I get rid of these node connection errors? Thanks in advance Sam Roose
> Energy Solutions Ltd.
>
> On 1/22/05 1:59 AM, "donbshireyiii" <shirey@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

> > Sam,
> >
> > I'm not sure if E+ is able to model what you are proposing.
> >
> > However, I do know that you can use the object
> > COIL:Water:CoolingHeatExchangerAssisted which uses the chilled water
> > cooling coil along with a sensible heat exchanger (Heat Exchanger:Air
> > to Air:Flat Plate or Heat Exchanger:Air to Air:Generic)
> > to improve the dehumidification performance of the cooilng coil by
> > pre-cooling the air entering the cooling coil, and then reheating the
> > air leaving the cooling coil. While this doesn't have a "pump"
> > associated with it, you might be able to use it anyway to meet your
> > needs. See the documentation (IO Ref and Engineering Doc) for
> > information regarding its use.
> >
> > Also, there is an example file called
> > FurnaceWithDXSystem_CoolingHXAssisted.idf which shows how the similar
> > object COIL:DX:CoolingHeatExchangerAssisted is used for a direct
> > expansion (DX) cooling coil. This example might be helpful for you to
> > see how the heat exchanger supply and exhaust air nodes are hooked up
> > correctly in the air loop (i.e., supply side of the heat exchanger is
> > the "precool" coil and the exhaust side of the heat exchanger is the
> > "reheat" coil).
> >
> > Don

> > in an air
> > Submittals/Sam
> > order of

> > degrees
> > to 10
> > water
> > load -

> > of a
> > on this

> > http://www.energyplus.gov
> >
> > The group web site is:
> >
> > Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the appropriate folder
> > in the Files area of the Support Web Site.
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > *

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: