[Equest-users] eQuest Assistance

Gary.Schrader at buildings.schneider-electric.com Gary.Schrader at buildings.schneider-electric.com
Fri Apr 16 08:15:40 PDT 2010

Generally speaking I don't like to do it for a couple of reasons:
1. IMHO, it isn't practical. If people get hot, they are going to turn
on the air conditioning. If you don't allow them to, they are going to
complain to the point to where the building operator does it for them.
Your model should reflect that. If operable windows or an economizer is
available, however, then that is a different story.
2. Picking an arbitrary setpoint at which you "lockout" the cooling is
just that: arbitrary. At the very least, you should model your building
to determine its balance point and then use that point as your lockout
if you choose to use one at all. Even then, balance points change on a
zone-by-zone basis. You will want to refer to your unmet hours report to
make sure that any lockouts you apply to do not cause severe swings from
an acceptable setpoint.
3. Your model may include some rooms that have a high heat-gain, such as
computer rooms or perhaps rooms with equipment. (Copy machines,
printers, kitchen equipment such as refrigerators, etc.) This equipment
will release heat year-round, and could potentially mandate cooling for
either human comfort or proper equipment operation. Again, you can get
away with a cooling lockout if you have economizers or windows
available.

My experience with VRV is that most VRV airside units do not have
economizer capability. This, of course, depends on your project and job.

That you have cooling in the winter time doesn't necessarily raise a
red-flag to me. Many commercial buildings require some cooling in the
winter. You may want to dig into your outputs to figure out which zones
are asking for cooling and why. My assumption is that the lights,
occupancy, or equipment usage is creating a cooling load requiring
cooling. You may wish to review your lighting, occupancy, and equipment
schedules to ensure you feel they are accurate. Of course, internal
zones will require cooling before perimeter ones because they have a
higher skin loss.

Some points to consider, anyway.

Good luck!

-Gary

Gary Schrader | Schneider Electric | Buildings Business | Energy
Solutions | Engineer I
Phone: +1 | Mobile: +1 913 217 8068 | Fax: +1 913 469 0206
Email: gary.schrader at buildings.schneider-electric.com | Site:
www.schneider-electric.com/buildings | Address: 16011 College Boulevard,
Suite 212, Lenexa, KS 66219, USA

*** Please consider the environment before printing this email.