[Equest-users] IPLV Curve Fit

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Wed Jun 15 13:55:05 PDT 2011

Hi Lyle,

I think you need to review a little further before proceeding.  Read
through the attached discussion from the bottom up.  This discussion
diverges a bit (as performance curve topics usually do) but I think
you're a bit ahead of the curve so to speak (har har!) in recognizing
what the IPLV numbers really mean.  Plugging in your IPLV values as
coefficients for a cubic equation (where f(x) = Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D) is
pretty much wildly different from the correct course of action, but
you're definitely in the ballpark's parking lot ;).

Ultimately, you (and others - listen up!) will probably have the best
shot of getting it right on the first go if you visualize what you're
doing in excel.  That's what worked for me when I was climbing this
mountain:

*         Assemble your part load percentages and corresponding EER's in
excel

*         Stop and review what the curve in eQuest is looking up, and
from what variable(s).  You can glean this from the title of the default
curve used...  In this case, you want eQuest to determine EIR each hour
as a function of Part load (EIRfPLR).

*         Knowing that, convert convert your EER values to to EIR

*         Now, normalize each EIR value to the ARI value*.  If the EER
at ARI is 9, and your 50% part load EER is 6, then the normalized vaule
is 6/9 = 0.67.  This normalized number is actually a multiplier of sorts
that eQuest will apply against your specified ARI efficiency in the
chiller input window.  If none of this is making sense, go back further
and review my "recommended reading" list in a thread called "Chiller
curves, oh boy!" from sometime last year in the archives.

*         Using excel, plot these normalized efficiencies (y-axis)
against the part load ratios (x-axis) with a scatter chart.

*         Right click and add a curve-fit to the series.  In the dialog,
try making it third order (quadratic) and see if you get a good fit.
Check the option to display the curve equation.

*         Voila, there are your four coefficients (A,B,C,D - see
eQuest's curve inputs to be sure you know which is which in the
quadratic format) for eQuest!  You've also developed a visual check to
ensure the numbers make sense.

*Important:  You MUST work from ARI-condition data points, and normalize
to the ARI condition, and specify your chiller's capacity/efficiency at
ARI conditions, if you are trying to only make PLR curves without doing
a full set of custom curves.  The reasons why are complex, and I've
already nearly written a book on the matter in the archives if you're
itching to know why ^_^.  If you want to specify your chiller around
design conditions, then it's all or nothing (library curves) with regard
to custom curve creation!

A general statement/consolation to everyone: We all have to crawl before
we can run!  Make no mistake, coming to a true fundamental understanding
of custom curves in eQuest/DOE2, to the point you can manipulate and
even create them on your own, is no small feat.  They should give out
medals!  The best way to develop this skill set is to accept you will
probably screw it up a few times to start, look hard at your results,
and read up on the literature/advice that's out there in order to learn
what it is that you personally don't know.  Once you come around to
understanding what you do know, and more importantly what you know that
you don't know... (Donald Rumsfeld would make a good energy modeler, lol
<http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Donald_Rumsfeld> ),  it's all downhill
from there, and you can begin to ask the right questions of yourself and
others to bridge your personal gaps.  Making mistakes is commendable,
provided you resolve to learn from them!

~Nick

NICK CATON, P.E.

SENIOR ENGINEER

Smith & Boucher Engineers