[Equest-users] Cambridge direct fired units in warehouse space

Adam Barker ABarker at pemi.com
Thu Aug 9 13:07:10 PDT 2012

Hello everyone,

I was recently asked to model the impact of Cambridge 'direct' fried air handling units for a warehouse building compared to a conventional MUA with supply and exhaust. Has anyone had experience with these units?

They boast a very low fan power consumption (5 hp for 8565 cfm of air), 92% thermal efficiency, and a temperature rise and max discharge temp of 160 F.

Most of the inputs are straightforward however I am not sure I am modeling the 160 F temperature rise properly.  As of now I have Packaged Single Zone systems and have entered 160 F as both the 'zone entering max supply temp' and 'hot deck max leaving temp'. Would this fully capture that temperature rise?  I ask as I am getting about 150-200 unmet heating hours in these zones, even though all other inputs are as per the mechanical engineer.  Is this significant, or likely just the difference between how eQuest and the mechanical engineer size their loads?  The building is a cold climate (southern Ontario, Canada) LEED building, so I want to make sure I am modeling as much benefit as possible.

Adam Barker, C.E.T., LEED AP BD+C
Sustainability Project Manager
Provident Energy Management Inc.
T: 416-736-0630 x 1874 | abarker at pemi.com<mailto:abarker at pemi.com>