[Equest-users] Query regarding PDEC ( Passive cooling ) simulation in eQuest

Dahlstrom, Aaron ADahlstrom at in-posse.com
Wed Mar 7 06:53:01 PST 2012

Mansi -

We have done some schematic modeling of wind towers with Fluent, a CFD package as noted.
Our climate didn't justify evaporative pre-cooling.

eQUEST has a natural ventilation module, which I have not fully dived into.

I believe it requires inputs that would likely be validated by a CFD model - for example, I don't think eQUEST's natural ventilation model allows for evaporative pre-cooling as a temperature driver for natural air exchange in a space.
As eQUEST models each zone as a fully mixed space, and has limited air transfer between zones, you may also have trouble getting the thermal stratification from eQUEST that would typically be needed to drive natural ventilation in a PDEC.

Aaron Dahlstrom , PE, LEED(r) AP
In Posse - A subsidiary of AKF| 1500 Walnut Street, Suite 1414, Philadelphia, PA 19102
d: 215-282-6753| m: 267-507-5470| In Posse: 215-282-6800| AKF: 215-735-7290