[BLDG-SIM] Experience with DOE-2 User Interfaces

Jim Kelsey kelsey at kw-energy.com
Thu Apr 8 16:44:09 PDT 1999

I have used both VisualDOE and PowerDOE. VisualDOE is easier to set up a
building fast and crashes less often but only offers a subset of
potential system options. PowerDOE is still somewhat buggy. It crashes
often although I have not lost a lot of data nor had files corrupted. It
uses DOE 2.2 & supposedly can model ANY system that the engine can
handle. PowerDOE does have a nice 3-D model visualization scheme. You
can zoom in and out, inspect walls, choose whether or not roofs and
walls are visible, etc.

Neither of the two seems to be very good at dealing with old BDL files.
What I have done usually is to use VisualDOE to get a model started &
then go to ASCII editing for fine tuning & and expanded set of modeling
options.

Good luck.

- Jim

--