[BLDG-SIM] getting the whole design team ..., 3D Modeling + E nergy Analysis

Olsen, Erik eolsen at owpp.com
Mon Feb 24 10:18:02 PST 2003

I cannot stand mute on this discussion anymore. I will speak for myself and
not as a representative of IBPSA but there is some work in this direction
already. IBPSA-USA has expressed a strong interested in planning
regional/local meetings intended for architects and engineers discussing
what building performance simulation is (including but not limited to energy
simulation), how it can be used in design, how it can improve designs, case
studies, etc. Ideas for partnership organizations have included AIA and
USGBC. It is just an idea right now but if more people get involved, the
likelihood of real action will increase.

In addition, an agreement has nearly been reached for preparation of
presentations on building performance simulation for audiences of architects
and engineers. The intent is for these presentations to be used for varied
audiences at professional meetings and other venues as has been discussed
today, and it is my impression that they will be nearly public domain
material, intended for the common good of the profession. This is a real
project that you can expect to see a product from in a few months.

So, keep your eyes open for progress on these initiatives. Again, I am
speaking for myself and OWP/P, not IBPSA, but want to raise awareness of
what is happening - it would be better to work together rather than starting
many isolated actions.

Erik Olsen
OWP/P Engineers
HVAC / Energy Consulting