[BLDG-SIM] envelope thermal performance

Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV Drury.Crawley at EE.DOE.GOV
Mon Mar 3 09:16:06 PST 2003

There is another parametric tool available free
for DOE-2 from  the Deringer Group:

http://www.deringergroup.com/Software/DOE2Parm/DOE2Parm.htm

                      "Monjur M
                      Mourshed"                To:       BLDG-SIM at GARD.COM
                      <monjur at ecaad.com        cc:
                      >                        Subject:  [BLDG-SIM] envelope thermal performance
                      Sent by:
                      postman at gard.com

                      03/03/2003 12:08
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      monjur

Hi Nesen

Two approaches for your solution:

1. Parametric Runs of Energy Simulation

You can use Energy Simulation software to run the same file changing
parameters of your choice, hence it is called parametric runs. You can run
your input file parametrically using EnergyPlus. This can be big and time
consuming. And it is impossible to visualize such problems with more than 2
design and 1 response variables. Anyway, there are different ways you can
do it:

         a.      Using MS-DOS batch file

         b.      Using available interfaces

         c.      Design your own interface to existing simulation software

2. Use formal optimisation techniques

So far, it is more realistic way to deal with a number of variables. BUT
you have to be proficient enough on optimisation techniques and formulation
of the problem. Result can be tricky enough if you don't model your problem
properly. See Louisa Gama Caldas's paper on this: Caldas, L.G., Norford,
L.K. 2002. "A design optimization tooll based on a genetic algorithm"
Automation in Construction, Vol. 11, pp 173-184.

GenOpt by Michael Wetter can be of help. Go to:
http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/GO . You can use different types of
algorithms to optimise the façade. GenOpt also claims to be able to do
parametric runs. One thing you need to remember, GenOpt is not only for
environmental design optimisation. It is rather generic ? you can couple
any ASCII file based simulation software. Its free but I am not sure of
other aspects. There are a lot of commercial optimisation software
available to suit your need. These algorithms are tested, robust and will
give you better results than "available free codees". Such a software may
be VisualDOC (http://www.vrand.com). To gain a comprehensive idea of
optimisation and its application try visiting NEOS server on optimisation.
ParamPlus claims to do parametric energy simulations. Check it.

I have done some coding to do parametric and optimisation runs. These are
still in alpha release and sorry that I cant share it right now. But if you
are stuck, don't hesitate to write.

Regards,

Monjur Mourshed