[BLDG-SIM] envelope thermal performance

Monjur M Mourshed monjur at ecaad.com
Mon Mar 3 09:08:09 PST 2003

Hi Nesen

Two approaches for your solution:

1. Parametric Runs of Energy Simulation
You can use Energy Simulation software to run the same file changing
parameters of your choice, hence it is called parametric runs. You can
run your input file parametrically using EnergyPlus. This can be big and
time consuming. And it is impossible to visualize such problems with
more than 2 design and 1 response variables. Anyway, there are different
ways you can do it:
a.      Using MS-DOS batch file
b.      Using available interfaces
c.      Design your own interface to existing simulation software

2. Use formal optimisation techniques
So far, it is more realistic way to deal with a number of variables. BUT
you have to be proficient enough on optimisation techniques and
formulation of the problem. Result can be tricky enough if you don’t
model your problem properly. See Louisa Gama Caldas’s paper on this:
Caldas, L.G., Norford, L.K. 2002. “A design optimization tooll based on
a genetic algorithm” Automation in Construction, Vol. 11, pp 173-184.

GenOpt by Michael Wetter can be of help. Go to:
<http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/GO>
http://simulationresearch.lbl.gov/GO . You can use different types of
algorithms to optimise the façade. GenOpt also claims to be able to do
parametric runs. One thing you need to remember, GenOpt is not only for
environmental design optimisation. It is rather generic – you can couple
any ASCII file based simulation software. Its free but I am not sure of
other aspects. There are a lot of commercial optimisation software
available to suit your need. These algorithms are tested, robust and
will give you better results than “available free codees”. Such a
software may be VisualDOC ( <http://www.vrand.com/>
http://www.vrand.com). To gain a comprehensive idea of optimisation and
its application try visiting NEOS server on optimisation. ParamPlus
claims to do parametric energy simulations. Check it.

I have done some coding to do parametric and optimisation runs. These
are still in alpha release and sorry that I cant share it right now. But
if you are stuck, don’t hesitate to write.

Regards,

Monjur Mourshed