[BLDG-SIM] Energy-10 and LEED

Marcus Sheffer sheffer at paonline.com
Mon Mar 24 13:29:48 PST 2003

Energy 10 software is acceptable for LEED even though you are correct on
ECBM in 90.1.  The LEED Reference Guide lists some exceptions to the 90.1
ECBM.  For the proper building type and systems, Energy 10 would be
acceptable according to my understanding.

At 12:37 PM 03/24/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>The requirements for LEED 2.1 Energy and Atmosphere credit 1 state:
>         Reduce design energy cost compared to the energy cost budget for
>energy
>         systems regulated by ASHRAE/IESNA Standard 90.1-1999 (without
>amendments),
>         as demonstrated by a whole building simulation using the Energy
>         Cost Budget Method described in Section 11 of the Standard.
>In my quick check of the standard, the modeling software must be able to
>model at least ten (10) thermal zones.  If we are going by the letter,
>Energy-10 does not qualify because it can only model  two (2) zones.  The
>DOE-2 website claims that the ASHRAE standard was based on DOE-2 analyses,
>so it looks like DOE-2 is the winner.
>
>(I personally have not used Energy-10 or DOE-2.  I am working primarily with
>EnergyPlus.)
>
>I hope I have helped.
>
>Andrew Phelps, CERL-ERDC
>Student Contractor
>Andrew.T.Phelps at ERDC.USACE.ARMY.MIL
>(217) 352-6511, ext. 7539

Marcus B. Sheffer                          energy & environmental consulting
Energy Opportunities                     717-292-2636
1200 E Camping Area Road            Fax: 717-292-0585
Wellsville, PA USA 17365-9783        sheffer at sevengroup.com
a Seven Group member company    www.sevengroup.com