[BLDG-SIM] EQuest reheat load problem

Joe Hager jhager at dmiinc.com
Thu Sep 30 13:45:59 PDT 2004

Hello All,

I'm currently modelling an eight story laboratory building using eQuest V
3.44.  The main system in the building is a 100% outside air VAV system with
steam heating at the airhandler coils and hot water reheat at the zone
level.  I have created two seperate heating loops, one for the main coils
and one for the reheat coils.  Each loop is fed by a Steam Meter and has a
pump attached.

I am getting confusing results with respect to the models reheat energy.  In
hourly reports that i have created, it shows the output of the reheat coils
(Variable Type: HVAC Systems; Hourly Result Series: Total Zone Coil Output)
and the load on the reheat water loop (Variable Type: Circulation Loop;
Hourly Result Series: Heating Coil Load on Loop) to be different (load on
the loop is only a fraction of the coil output).  I have tried several
different configurations with primary loops, secondary loops, steam meters
feeding the loop, boilers on the loop, but in each run the loop load is
considerably lower than the coil output.

In a last ditch effort i changed the reheat coils from hot water coils to
electric resistance coils to see if the electricity used by the coils would
be equal to the output of the coils.  Surprisinly, this worked and i had a
heating load that equal to the coil output.

This leaves me confused as to why, when i had the reheat coils as hot water
i was not geting all of the coil load to transfer to the loop but the
electric coils do.  If anyone has run into a similar problem and has solved
it, or anyone who might know what i have done wrong, i would greatly
appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance,

Joe Hager
DMI