[BLDG-SIM] Questions about EnergyPlus

Michael J. Witte mjwitte at gard.com
Fri May 20 14:03:53 PDT 2005

On 19 May 2005, at 14:23, Bing Dong wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am a beginner in EnergyPlus. I have several questions below. I hope some helps
> from you experts. Thank you.
>
> Can EnergyPlus set up the building model directly or a thirty party support tool
> has to be used? I know that now there is a converter called IFCtoIDF, which is a
> utility for importing building geometry from commercial CAD tools into
> EnergyPlus. However, it is easier to setup the model in EnergyPlus directly.

To set up a building model in EnergyPlus without using a third party tool
requires entering 3-D coodinates for surfaces using a text editor or the IDF
Editor (a utility which simplifies punctuation and formatting but still
requires the same data entry).

> Another question is that can EnergyPlus do naturally ventilated building without
> HVAC system?

Yes.  The COMIS multizone airflow model is integrated in EnergyPlus.  Depending
on the application, the data requirements can be signficant to describe all of
the pertinent openings for airflow.

Mike Witte

> Thank you very much
>

> Best Regards,