[BLDG-SIM] Tankless Water Heaters

Chris Balbach cbalbach at psdconsulting.com
Mon Mar 19 05:58:42 PDT 2007

Tim:

As usual, the answer is 'it depends"... The (annual) efficiency of
instantaneous hot water heaters is a controversial topic and is a
function driven primarily by whether or not the a standing pilot is
used, the frequency and duration of hot water loads, and the estimated
amount of cold water usage 'wasted' if/when users are waiting for hot
water to be delivered or when the minimum flow requirements are exceeded
and the hot water draw becomes cold.

At any rate, the TREAT (Targeted Residential Energy Analysis Tools)
software suite allows one to model the annual effects of changing from a
tank storage type of system to a tankless type of system.

More importantly, TREAT employs a very unique savings determination
algorithm which allows users to combine multiple individual improvements
into 'packages' to see the interactive effects - which more accurately
capture and quantify the 'interactive' savings that occur when multiple
improvements are simulated. For example, TREAT could accurately quantify
the interactive savings from changing out existing shower-heads and
faucet aerators with 'low flow' devices, while switching hot water
heaters from say a tank type 40 gallon electric to a tankless propane
model, combined with improving the insulation of the DHW piping (piping
surface areas are user specified) in unconditioned spaces from from R1
to R4, and resetting the DHW temperature from 135 degrees F to 120 deg F.

As always, users must provide accurate input (GIGO), if they expect
accurate output, which is especially important when working with
simulating an existing building.  To assist with this, TREAT integrates
a billing analysis tool for use against the baseline building model
which compares baseload (weather independent) and heating/cooling slope
(weather dependent) energy consumption of the model against utility
billing data. Good data from residential utility bills are required for
this feature, and the data is weather normalized (corrected) using daily
high/low temperatures correlating to the billing data period, while the
model uses TMY2 30 year average weather data . If billing analysis is
used to 'match' the baseline model , users can improve the confidence of
their predictions when investigating baseload (hot water, appliance and
lighting) energy improvements.

This is probably more than you wanted - but I wanted to make sure you
were aware of the possibilities when you are considering annual
simulations. You can download a 30 day fully functional trial version of
TREAT (including program documentation) from http://www.treatsoftware.com.

Have fun - Chris

Chris Balbach, P.E., LEED AP
Manager of Energy Engineering Services