[Bldg-sim] Title-24 modeling w/ eQUEST

gaurav mehta gmehta75 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 14:37:18 PST 2008

Peter,

I would second John's thoughts. There is a steep learning curve involved and
training definitely helps. There are so many complexities in each project
with each system and building one is trying to model that each project
results in learning something new. EnergyPro is good for Title 24 compliance
but for energy analysis and trying out different energy efficient measures
such as different glazing, wall assemblies, system types and for LEED,
eQuest is a great tool. We have had discussions earlier on this forum so
please see the archives.

Just to make my position clear- I love eQuest. Most of my work involves
using this software. There are so many things that one can do with
eQuest, that one can not do with other software- e.g. the 3D model of the
building is a great feature in eQuest. I can't imagine if I could have done
that complex geometry in EnergyPro itself. And it was a blessing in disguise
that I had an eQuest model for the project.

But then again, I will never use eQuest for Title 24 compliance.

Best regards,

Gaurav Mehta

Sustainable Building Analyst

Stantec Consulting