[Bldg-sim] Revising Policy Related to Help Wanted Ads and Services Offered

Jason Glazer jglazer at gard.com
Wed Feb 23 14:00:13 PST 2011

Lately, it seems like we are getting many help wanted and
services offered postings to the BLDG-SIM and other mailing
lists on onebuilding.org.  It has become common enough that
I am wondering if it is time to revisit the policy on those
kinds of messages.

Remember the core purpose of the mailing lists is to help
each other with the use of building energy simulation
programs and I don't want that messed up by becoming just a
job board. On the other hand, helping people in the
community get jobs and find help seems like a good idea too.

The current policy is shown on

http://onebuilding.org/guidelines.html

and states:

"Job announcements are welcome on the mailing lists but are
restricted to one posting per month on your choice of one
onebuilding.org mailing list."

It seems like we have a number of choices and I would like
your input on revising the policy. Here are some choices
that I thought up:

a) Keep as is.

b) Add "service offered" to the policy.

c) Require that all job announcements and services offered
are posted on one certain day per month (a job fair day).

d) Create a new mailing list called SIM-JOBS that would be
the only location that these kind of posts would be allowed.

e) Do not allow any help wanted or services offered posting
at all.

If you have an opinion or you have other ideas, please
respond to the BLDG-SIM mailing list and let us know.

Hopefully this will spur enough discussion that I will get
an understanding of how the people using the mailing list feel.

Thanks

Jason