[Bldg-sim] Compare simulation results of benchmark models to actual typical building energy use

Deru, Michael Michael.Deru at nrel.gov
Mon Mar 7 13:10:36 PST 2011

Jim and all,

The DOE reference building models were developed as standard energy simulation models that represent typical building practices.  The energy models were developed to form consistent starting points for energy modeling exercises such as evaluating energy standards (they have been used for 90.1 and 189.1) and evaluating new technologies.  They are not meant to represent actual energy use of any particular building; however, the results from the models could be used as another reference point for comparing energy performance if the model is close to your building type.

Michael

Michael Deru, Ph.D.
Senior Engineer II
Commercial Buildings Research Group