[Bldg-sim] Compare simulation results of benchmark models to actual typical building energy use

Jin Minming jminming at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 13:52:35 PST 2011

Dear Michael,

Thanks for your reply.

I understand that the main purpose of these benchmark models is to provide
consistency in modeling methods and implementation in commercial buildings.
There is another report from NREL "methodology for modeling building energy
performance across the commercial sector":
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/41956.pdf
I am not sure whether there is  a direct connection between this report and
these reference building models.  But as said in this report,
"For routine or widespread use, we recommend developing smaller sets of
benchmark models to represent the commercial sector." So I think it is
reasonable to compare the results of thsese reference models to actual typical
energy use in different types of commercial buildings although more variations
of these models need to be created to represent wide range of actual buildings.
Whether they match well or not,  it may give some clue how the buildings across
the commercial sector perform as a whole in practise.  Anyway, the results from
these kind of bottom up methods are usually very hard to be consistent with each
other.

 Jim Terry