[Bldg-sim] Process Loads

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Mar 18 13:57:45 PDT 2011

Assuming we're talking about 90.1, the definition for process load reads
something like "loads that don't have anything to do with HVAC..." so
you could make the case that a small IT closet split DX unit or
thermostat-controlled exhaust fan is not a process load, and therefore
the HVAC must be modeled as a system.  Why would one want to do this?
You could demonstrate better performance with your efficient (?) system.

On the other hand, loads in small IT closest are commonly core zones
with 24/7 loads, and as a result any such system would be running 24/7
and/or on a consistent basis.  An offshoot is you could very simply roll
any A/C for such spaces into the room's W/SF, and there would
potentially be little difference in consumed energy modeled.  Why would
one want to do this?  Objectively:  It's easy/fast.

If those were the only two points of interest on the table, as your
reviewer I wouldn't care either way.

That said, the two above paths result in a pretty different baseline
scenario:  On the one hand you end up with a baseline system against
which your proposed system may excel or underperform against in handling
the data/IT room's heat loads.  In the other case you have zero direct
conditioning of the loads in that space in either model, which would
have to propagate into adjacent spaces/systems via partitions - which is
in most cases a step or two away from reality.   Where one approach is
"removed" from reality and the other may objectively "reward/punish" the
design decisions made to condition that space, I think it's pretty clear
which is the preferable judgment from a reviewer's standpoint.

Then again, I'm not your reviewer ;).

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.

PROJECT ENGINEER