[Bldg-sim] Modeling an Exterior Chase

Peter T. May-Ostendorp mayosten at Colorado.EDU
Wed Nov 9 10:05:03 PST 2011

Dear Rob,

To me the idea of modeling these spaces as extra zones is a bit overkill, especially looking at their floor area in comparison to the adjacent room. The "detailed" approach you discussed would probably work, but probably doesn't gain you much in accuracy. It is difficult to tell from the drawings provided what the construction of these chases might be, but since they are so thin relative to the room, you might be able to approximate them by creating a special envelope construction with an air gap. You don't need to have a temperature node in your model for the chase, just capture their basic heat conduction properties.

Good luck!
Peter
Peter May-Ostendorp, EIT, LEED AP
PhD Candidate
University of Colorado at Boulder
College of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Building Systems Program
M: 970.426.8827

Please think before printing.