[Bldg-sim] air flow sensors

Pavel Dybskiy pdybskiy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 07:27:15 PDT 2012

Chris,

Since pitot tube is a single point sensor you will need some assumptions
regarding velocity distribution of flow through the window. You may need an
array of those tubes to get more or less realistic picture.
I know someone who was doing air velocity measurements in the room for his
research at Ryerson University.
He measured air flow variation against vertical position. Those sensors
were using hot wires to measure air velocity. Sorry I don't recall the
maker.
And again, the question remains: number of sensor vs the character of flow.

With those pitot tubes in the rocket science they face more simple problems
when they have controlled overall air flow in the wind tunnel.

In the building science, I believe, you want to know overall air flow based
on velocity distribution.  Inverse problems are tough.

When using a hood you may change the flow significantly.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful.

Pavel Dybskiy

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Chris Jones <cj at enersave.ca> wrote:

> I am wondering what kind of air flow sensor one would use to measure the
> flow through opened windows?  This is for a house monitoring projects.  I
> have the DB and WB loggers.  Would you do a transverse with a pitot tube?
>  Would a flow hood work?
>

> Christopher Jones, P.Eng.
> Suite 1801, 1 Yonge Street
> Toronto, ON M5E1W7