[Bldg-sim] air flow sensors

Marques da Silva fms at lnec.pt
Tue Jul 3 07:44:20 PDT 2012

Hi Chris

I beleive you want to measure on a real window where the flow velocity
will be low. Pitot tubes lose accuracy for very low velocities.

The issue of using a grid of measuring points applies for any kind of
device because of the variability of the flow across the opening.

Hot wire anemometers are very good foy low velocities but they are
sensitive to the  incoming flow direction. Maybe the best option will be
the omnidirectional sensors (a sphere). They measure low velocities and
are direction independent. Of course you can not obtain the flow
direction from them. Airflow Instruments is a possibility.

A flow hood could be an option but it is unidirectional.

Hope this did not increase turbulence...

Fernando