[Bldg-sim] COMcheck & bldg sim programs

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Feb 18 12:14:34 PST 2013

Hi List!

Here's some additional clarification resulting from some off-list discussion:

In my experience, the person demonstrating energy code compliance and the person doing the energy modeling is often the same person (me!), so I'm writing from a perspective that it's a given the COMcheck reports are assembled with the same rigor expected of the energy model.  In function, I personally recognize COMcheck reports as a time-saving tool to simultaneously document model inputs while demonstrating code compliance.

Those providing energy modeling services independent of those producing compliance documentation should at least make themselves aware that there may be conflicts between both sets of documentation to watch out for.  I do not think this possibility should discourage you from using COMcheck or similar tools to enhance your personal workflow and documentation.  The format by which you choose to document your model should not have any bearing on whether you will need to explain discrepancies with other documentation.

When others are assembling COMcheck reports (or other compliance documentation), as the energy modeler I will make a point to review our inputs against each other for corrections, as there shouldn't be two sets of documentation floating out there with conflicting results.  I take on QC measures like this to avoid such review commentary altogether.  In a positive light, making such checks is an easy way to QC your model inputs against the actual design, and may even reveal design decisions which haven't been realized in the model.

Hope this helps!

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.