[Bldg-sim] About infiltration in a LEED analysis.....

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Thu Jan 10 12:30:06 PST 2013

Hi David!

Matching infiltration rates between models is in line with the present LEED requirements and referenced standards.  To my understanding, doing otherwise is not prohibited, but if you wish to differentiate proposed and baseline infiltration rates you will need to furnish an explanation (exceptional calculation) along with the rest of your model documentation to the satisfaction of your LEED EAc1/EAp2 reviewer.

I haven't direct experience submitting such differentiating calculations specifically for LEED review (I hope others can chime in!), but some searching of the term "infiltration" in the onebuilding mailing list archives will lead you to multiple methods/papers/cited sources for different approaches.  I personally reference ASHRAE 2001 Fundamentals to address tightness improvements on a broad level (further explanation/citation in the archives).

Since you mentioned "renovation," I would be extra cautious to review the most current LEED guidance available regarding where and to what extent you apply any such "leakage improvement" factors to infiltration rates - there may be unintended effects on what is expected for the modeled constructions (baseline vs. actual).

Best of luck!

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.