[Bldg-sim] Regarding problem of Zero Electric Demand

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Tue Nov 12 07:39:07 PST 2013

Best bet for eQuest-specific help is usually the [Equest-users] archives and the mailing list community, and there's an E+ counterpart mailing list as well.   That said a substantial amount of eQuest-specific and E+-specific queries are handled here as well on [Bldg-sim] - sometimes it's not always clear when a question is specific to software or more general in nature so the the [bldg-sim] serves as an effective catch-all.

To Tom's eQuest query (and I'm speaking specifically to eQuest - E+ users will have to confirm if any of this applies on your end):
It's important to recognize that monthly and annual "peak demand" values reported in most detailed/graphical reports do not strictly represent the maximum draw of each end-use - they represent the hour with the maximum draw on the associated meter, broken out by end-use through that hour.

By extension, your cooling system(s) can be operating normally and keeping the spaces cool when called for, but not be operating within the hour of maximum draw for each month or for the year.  This is not uncommon in the winter months for temperate and heating-dominated climates, particularly when there's substantial electric heating in play to overwhelm what the cooling systems require.

So that said, the graphical "Annual peak demand by end use" report is if I'm not mistaken reporting enduse draws for the peak hour over the whole simulated year - not seeing cooling in this pie chart is simply indicative of more substantial heating operating under the same meter.  You can review and confirm if and when cooling plays a part in your monthly peak demands by reviewing the monthly graphical charts or via the PS-E/PS-F detailed reports.

Regards,

~Nick
[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.