[Bldg-sim] Length of cooling (and heating) season

Abela, Alan 2010 (PGR) alan.abela2010 at my.ntu.ac.uk
Thu Jul 3 07:32:14 PDT 2014

Hi everybody

This seems a really basic question to me, but  I have been unable to trace much information on it.

What methods exist for the definition of the length of the heating and cooling seasons prior to the performance of an energy simulation.

I am aware that the European Standard EN13790 provides a method for doing this, but are there are any other methods?

Alternatively is there any record of established national practice, eg heating on from Dec to Mar in a particular country and cooling on from Jun to Sept?

Sometimes simulation can generate cooling loads on a year round basis at certain times of day, although the cooling system is not normally on for 12 months of the year.

I am looking for a justifiable way to filter out these loads.

Alan Abela

Doctoral Research Student
School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment
Nottingham Trent University