[Bldg-sim] Length of cooling (and heating) season

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Jul 8 17:43:39 PDT 2014

Degree Days shouldn't be used to define the length of the heating or cooling season, since
they measure not only when heating/cooling is needed but also the severity of the
heating/cooling need.  I suppose it's possible to count the number of days when there are
non-zero heating/cooling degree days, but then you'd have to go back to the original
weather data, but then it would be much better to simply do a simulation and record the
number of days when there is a heating/cooling load.   In the final analysis, the length
of the heating/cooling season is dependent on both the climate as well as the building
itself.  In the same climate, a super-insulated building will have a much shorter heating
season than a building with no insulation.

As others have already posted, there are many places around the world where the heating
season is specified.  In China, for example, the heating season was originally defined in
the 1960's to begin when the average temperature over 5 consecutive days is below 10 C.
However, once defined by law, tradition and politics come into play, so that heating
seasons are rarely ever changed.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.