[Bldg-sim] Length of cooling (and heating) season

Dru.Crawley at bentley.com Dru.Crawley at bentley.com
Thu Jul 10 06:27:22 PDT 2014

As someone noted, the EnergyPlus weather files (EPW) statistics .STAT file contains seasons from the specific weather file… NOT from the long-term record.  For example:

Statistics for USA_VA_Arlington-Ronald.Reagan.Washington.Natl.AP.724050_TMY3
….
- Typical/Extreme Period Determination

- Summer is Jun:Aug
     Extreme Summer Week (nearest maximum temperature for summer)
     Extreme Hot Week Period selected: Jul 27:Aug  2, Maximum Temp=  36.70°C, Deviation=| 7.665|°C
     Typical Summer Week (nearest average temperature for summer)
    Typical Week Period selected: Jul 20:Jul 26, Average Temp=  25.78°C, Deviation=| 0.283|°C

- Winter is Dec:Feb
     Extreme Winter Week (nearest minimum temperature for winter)
     Extreme Cold Week Period selected: Feb  3:Feb  9, Minimum Temp= -13.90°C, Deviation=| 9.545|°C
     Typical Winter Week (nearest average temperature for winter)
     Typical Week Period selected: Jan 27:Feb  2, Average Temp=   3.45°C, Deviation=| 0.193|°C

- Autumn is Sep:Nov
     Typical Autumn Week (nearest average temperature for autumn)
     Typical Week Period selected: Oct 20:Oct 26, Average Temp=  14.44°C, Deviation=| 0.753|°C

- Spring is Mar:May
     Typical Spring Week (nearest average temperature for spring)
     Typical Week Period selected: Apr 12:Apr 18, Average Temp=  12.61°C, Deviation=| 0.851|°C

Statistics for GBR_London.Gatwick.037760_IWEC
…..
- Typical/Extreme Period Determination

- Summer is Jun:Aug
     Extreme Summer Week (nearest maximum temperature for summer)
     Extreme Hot Week Period selected: Aug 17:Aug 23, Maximum Temp=  31.30°C, Deviation=|12.677|°C
     Typical Summer Week (nearest average temperature for summer)
     Typical Week Period selected: Jun 29:Jul  5, Average Temp=  16.36°C, Deviation=| 0.115|°C

- Winter is Dec:Feb
     Extreme Winter Week (nearest minimum temperature for winter)
     Extreme Cold Week Period selected: Dec  1:Dec  7, Minimum Temp=  -5.90°C, Deviation=| 6.758|°C
     Typical Winter Week (nearest average temperature for winter)
     Typical Week Period selected: Jan 20:Jan 26, Average Temp=   4.50°C, Deviation=| 0.562|°C

- Autumn is Sep:Nov
     Typical Autumn Week (nearest average temperature for autumn)
     Typical Week Period selected: Nov 10:Nov 16, Average Temp=  10.74°C, Deviation=| 0.101|°C

- Spring is Mar:May
     Typical Spring Week (nearest average temperature for spring)
     Typical Week Period selected: Apr 19:Apr 25, Average Temp=   9.22°C, Deviation=| 0.397|°C

Statistics for PRI_San.Juan.Intl.AP.785260_TMY3
….
- Typical/Extreme Period Determination
- No discernible dry period.....
     Week closest to average annual temperature selected for Typical Period
     Typical Week Period selected: Apr 30:May  6, Average Temp=  26.57°C, Deviation=| 0.029|°C
- Extremes Selected from annual Min/Max
     Week closest to maximum annual temperature selected for Typical Period
     Extreme Hot Week Period selected: Jul 23:Jul 29, Maximum Temp=  34.40°C, Deviation=| 5.810|°C
     Week closest to minimum annual temperature selected for Typical Period
     Extreme Cold Week Period selected: Jan  1:Jan  7, Minimum Temp=  19.40°C, Deviation=| 4.774|°C