[Bldg-sim] Occupancy loads of a typical American typical family in a small container house

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Jul 8 18:06:08 PDT 2014

If you're simulating such a small house (~ 400 ft2), you need to scale appropriately the
occupancy loads from other studies.  I wouldn't worry about differences in the hourly
profiles, because those would be vary all over the place anyway, but daily totals will
definitely differ from those of a typical single-family detached house. Lighting may scale
with floor area, but not occupant heat-gain, while appliance internal gains will be
somewhere in the middle (smaller appliances and probably fewer).  When I was working at
LBNL, I used a bottoms-up method to derive an average internal load for houses by adding
up the type of appliance x daily heat gain x percent heat gain in space.  The advantage of
such a method is that it allows you to scale back the size or number of appliances for the
house that you're modeling.  That work was done back in the early 1980's, so it could use
a substantial upgrade, but IMHO the methodology is still valid.   If anyone's interested,
send me an e-mail and I'll see if I can dig out and scan the relevant pages of the
Technical Support Document.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.