Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Convex Zones and Cross Mixing

At 08:25 AM 3/8/02, you wrote:
>1. The "space" is a rectangle with a small rectangular cutout in an
>exterior wall corner where there is an outside deck.  I tried to
>model a single zone and got the error message "Zone is not convex
>(CHKBKS) A vertex of back surface is above plane of receiving
>surface..." I got past this problem by splitting the unit in half,
>but now I have the complexity of 2 zones.  Am I correct in assuming
>that EnergyPlus is currently not capable of modeling a complex floor
>plan as a single zone if the perimeter is not convex?

As it turns out, we are correcting things in this area as I
type.  (Actually, think we have most of them cleared up).  And we're
expecting to release 1.0.1 very soon.  But, if you want to send me your
input file, I will run it through the current version and see if there are
still "non-convex" errors detected and mail you back the .err file.

>3. Where can I find better references for constructing working HVAC
>systems? I have attempted to understand the "system" logic presented
>in the Input Output Reference as well as reviewing the example files,
>most of which are similar basic configurations with different
>equipment, none of which are exactly like my needed configuration so
>I can not directly rob them.  After several trials I have created an
>HVAC system that nolonger generates any error messages, but it also
>does not run.... I must have NODE, BRANCH, LOOP or ZONE problems, but

(I am not a HVAC person).  But, I would point you to the "Templates"
folder.  That should help you put together fairly complex HVAC input
files.  Unfortunately, the current release is a bit bereft of the full
gamut of systems that can be produced.  Again, V1.0.1 will be more complete.

We are also generating new "Branch/Node" details report and have beefed up
the detection of node connection errors in the new release -- so even if
you don't use templates, we hope this new area will help.

Linda

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!