Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Convex Zones and Cross Mixing

Regarding convex zones, another option is to change the setting for
modeling of interior solar distribution.  In the BUILDING object, the
last field is "Solar Distribution" which has the following choices:
MinimalShadowing, FullExterior, or FullInteriorAndExterior.  The
FullExterior option places all direct solar entering the zone onto
the floor surface(s).  For most simulations, this is adequate.  The
FullInteriorAndExterior option projects the direct solar onto the
zone surfaces based on the sun angles throughout the day.  This
option requires that the zone be convex.  If the interior
distribution of solar gains is not critical to your simulation, you
could solve your convex zone problem by setting the solar
distribution to FullExterior.

Regarding CROSS MIXING, please send me your input file.

Mike Witte

On 8 Mar 2002, at 8:34, Linda Lawrie wrote:

> At 08:25 AM 3/8/02, you wrote:
> >1. The "space" is a rectangle with a small rectangular cutout in an
> >exterior wall corner where there is an outside deck.  I tried to
> >model a single zone and got the error message "Zone is not convex
> >(CHKBKS) A vertex of back surface is above plane of receiving
> >surface..." I got past this problem by splitting the unit in half,
> >but now I have the complexity of 2 zones.  Am I correct in assuming
> >that EnergyPlus is currently not capable of modeling a complex floor
> >plan as a single zone if the perimeter is not convex?
>
> As it turns out, we are correcting things in this area as I
> type.  (Actually, think we have most of them cleared up).  And we're
> expecting to release 1.0.1 very soon.  But, if you want to send me your
> input file, I will run it through the current version and see if there are
> still "non-convex" errors detected and mail you back the .err file.
>

> >3. Where can I find better references for constructing working HVAC
> >systems? I have attempted to understand the "system" logic presented
> >in the Input Output Reference as well as reviewing the example files,
> >most of which are similar basic configurations with different
> >equipment, none of which are exactly like my needed configuration so
> >I can not directly rob them.  After several trials I have created an
> >HVAC system that nolonger generates any error messages, but it also
> >does not run.... I must have NODE, BRANCH, LOOP or ZONE problems, but
>
> (I am not a HVAC person).  But, I would point you to the "Templates"
> folder.  That should help you put together fairly complex HVAC input
> files.  Unfortunately, the current release is a bit bereft of the full
> gamut of systems that can be produced.  Again, V1.0.1 will be more complete.
>
> We are also generating new "Branch/Node" details report and have beefed up
> the detection of node connection errors in the new release -- so even if
> you don't use templates, we hope this new area will help.
>
> Linda

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

EnergyPlus Testing and Support