[EnergyPlus_Support] Convex Zones and Cross Mixing

I am attempting my first EnergyPlus model without the benifit of
previous DOE 2.1 or BLAST programming experience.  I also do not have
either of these programs to generate models for translation.  I have
what should be a simple project to model one appartment in a large
complex.  I managed to model the space after several trials and it
runs as an unconditioned space.  I have yet to properly construct
proper HVAC system that runs.  I have the following questions.

1. The "space" is a rectangle with a small rectangular cutout in an
exterior wall corner where there is an outside deck.  I tried to
model a single zone and got the error message "Zone is not convex
(CHKBKS) A vertex of back surface is above plane of receiving
surface..." I got past this problem by splitting the unit in half,
but now I have the complexity of 2 zones.  Am I correct in assuming
that EnergyPlus is currently not capable of modeling a complex floor
plan as a single zone if the perimeter is not convex?

2. As I said, I modeled the space as 2 zones and of course got
different temperatures and moisture loads in each zone.  I tried
using CROSS MIXING thinking I could generate almost identical zone
conditions, but although there are slight differences between models
with and without CROSS MIXING, the zone temperature and moisture
conditions do not equalize, even when using large exchange flows
(over 10 ACH).  Should I expect CROSS MIXING to equalize zone
conditions if there is a large air exchange rate?

3. Where can I find better references for constructing working HVAC
systems? I have attempted to understand the "system" logic presented
in the Input Output Reference as well as reviewing the example files,
most of which are similar basic configurations with different
equipment, none of which are exactly like my needed configuration so
I can not directly rob them.  After several trials I have created an
HVAC system that nolonger generates any error messages, but it also
does not run.... I must have NODE, BRANCH, LOOP or ZONE problems, but
I am taking stabs in the dark to fix things.  I can learn this stuff
if it is written down clearly somewhere and I can not expect this
user group to be my problem solver.  I do understand that the Input
Output Reference is probably clear to the people who wrote the
program, I just need some references to get me over the initial
learning hump.  I don't expect EnergyPlus to be significantly more
difficult to understand than any of the several programming and
simulation languages I've worked with in the past.

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!
Click Here - Only 1 Day Left!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/nuyOHD/7.PDAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM