[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Control Type Schedules

Mike,

Thanks for the location of control types in the reference.

I used the Examples\AutoSize\5ZoneAutoDXVAV.idf as my starting
point. As far as I can tell my new file and the original example
file are identical with respect to the zone controls and the system
controls. I did change some of the setpoints. Something else that is
a bit curious, and makes me think the controls are not working
properly, is the main heating coil is scheduled OFF during he
summer, however it is providing heating when the cooling coil
discharge is low.

I am in the midst of reviewing all my setpoints to make sure I don't
have a decimal misplaced or something silly.

I will also ask to make sure I understand how the heating and
cooling coils are controlled. For both the DX Cooiling Coil and a
Gas Heating Coil there is no CONTROLLER specified, instead they use
a SET POINT MANAGER to control the discharge temperature (and the
controls are internal to the equipment type.) Should the DX Cooling
Coil Control Node and the Gas Heating Coil Control Node be the same
as the Node the SET POINT MANAGER specifies through the Set Point
Node List?

For example:

  DXSystem:AirLoop,
    DX Cooling Coil System 1,  !- Name of DX Cooling Coil System
    CoolingCoilAvailSched,  !- Availability schedule
    Mixed Air Node 1,  !- DX Cooling Coil System inlet node name
    Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- DX Cooling Coil System
outlet node name
    Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- DX Cooling Coil System
Control Node
    COIL:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,  !- Cooling coil type
    Main Cooling Coil 1;  !- Cooling coil name

  COIL:Gas:Heating,
    Main heating Coil 1,  !- Coil Name
    ReheatCoilAvailSched,  !- Available Schedule
    0.8,  !- Gas Burner Efficiency of the Coil
    29000,  !- Nominal Capacity of the Coil {W}
    Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- Coil_Air_Inlet_Node
    Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- Coil_Air_Outlet_Node
    Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node;  !- Coil_Temp_Setpoint_Node

  SET POINT MANAGER:SCHEDULED,
    Supply Air Temp Manager 1,  !- Name
    TEMP,  !- Control variable
    Seasonal Reset Supply Air Temp Sch,  !- Schedule Name
    Supply Air Temp Nodes 1;  !- Name of the set point Node List

  NODE LIST,
    Supply Air Temp Nodes 1,  !- Node List Name
    VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node;  !- Node_ID_1

Which is from my file and is the same for the example file I used.

Thanks for your help,

Michelle Smith
Belle Engineering, LLC

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@y..., "Michael J. Witte" <mjwitte@g...>
wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2002, at 14:48, miss_ray wrote:
>
> > I have perhaps a silly question:
> >
> > In the Control Types Schedules, say for the thermostat of a VAV
with
> > reheat, you are using discrete numbers 0 through 4. When the Day
> > Schedules are created, I assume each whole number in the Day
> > Schedule corresponds to a type of control such as SINGLE COOLING
> > SETPOINT or DUAL SETPOINT WITH DEADBAND and is used to switch
> > between the different types of control based on occupancy. How
is
> > the correlation made between the whole numbers used in the Day
> > Schedule and the type of control?
>
> 0 - Uncontrolled (No specification or default)
> 1 - Single Heating Setpoint
> 2 - Single Cooling SetPoint
> 3 - Single Heating/Cooling Setpoint
> 4 - Dual Setpoint (Heating and Cooling) with deadband
>
> (see pp. 324ff in the Input Output Reference for more details)
>

> > I am having trouble getting my controls to work for a single
duct
> > VAV with reheat. (My cooling coil is producing 28F discharge air
and
> > my reheat terminals are running full reheat.)
>
> See the VAVSingleDuctReheat.idf example in
EnergyPlus\Examples\Misc
> to see how the cooling coil controls should be set up.
>
> Mike

> EnergyPlus Testing and Support
> EnergyPlus-Support@g...

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now