Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Control Type Schedules

See responses mixed in below.

On 28 Aug 2002, at 15:38, belleengr wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Thanks for the location of control types in the reference.
>
> I used the Examples\AutoSize\5ZoneAutoDXVAV.idf as my starting
> point. As far as I can tell my new file and the original example
> file are identical with respect to the zone controls and the system
> controls. I did change some of the setpoints. Something else that is
> a bit curious, and makes me think the controls are not working
> properly, is the main heating coil is scheduled OFF during he
> summer, however it is providing heating when the cooling coil
> discharge is low.

I think there's a mistake in the schedule for the main heating coil,
it should be HeatingCoilAvailSched, but it's set to
ReheatCoilAvailSched.  However, if the setpoints are correct, it
should not run anyway.

> I am in the midst of reviewing all my setpoints to make sure I don't
> have a decimal misplaced or something silly.
>
> I will also ask to make sure I understand how the heating and
> cooling coils are controlled. For both the DX Cooiling Coil and a
> Gas Heating Coil there is no CONTROLLER specified, instead they use
> a SET POINT MANAGER to control the discharge temperature (and the
> controls are internal to the equipment type.) Should the DX Cooling
> Coil Control Node and the Gas Heating Coil Control Node be the same
> as the Node the SET POINT MANAGER specifies through the Set Point
> Node List?
>
> For example:
>
>   DXSystem:AirLoop,
>     DX Cooling Coil System 1,  !- Name of DX Cooling Coil System
>     CoolingCoilAvailSched,  !- Availability schedule
>     Mixed Air Node 1,  !- DX Cooling Coil System inlet node name
>     Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- DX Cooling Coil System
> outlet node name
>     Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- DX Cooling Coil System
> Control Node
>     COIL:DX:CoolingBypassFactorEmpirical,  !- Cooling coil type
>     Main Cooling Coil 1;  !- Cooling coil name
>
>   COIL:Gas:Heating,
>     Main heating Coil 1,  !- Coil Name
>     ReheatCoilAvailSched,  !- Available Schedule
>     0.8,  !- Gas Burner Efficiency of the Coil
>     29000,  !- Nominal Capacity of the Coil {W}
>     Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- Coil_Air_Inlet_Node
>     Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node,  !- Coil_Air_Outlet_Node
>     Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node;  !- Coil_Temp_Setpoint_Node
>
>   SET POINT MANAGER:SCHEDULED,
>     Supply Air Temp Manager 1,  !- Name
>     TEMP,  !- Control variable
>     Seasonal Reset Supply Air Temp Sch,  !- Schedule Name
>     Supply Air Temp Nodes 1;  !- Name of the set point Node List
>
>   NODE LIST,
>     Supply Air Temp Nodes 1,  !- Node List Name
>     VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node;  !- Node_ID_1
>
> Which is from my file and is the same for the example file I used.

The controls in the 5ZoneAutoDXVAV example are a bit complicated.  As
you listed above, there is a SET POINT MANAGER:SCHEDULED which
applies a seasonal setpoint schedule to the "VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node".

There is also a SET POINT MANAGER:MIXED AIR which takes the setpoint
applied to "VAV Sys 1 Outlet Node", subtracts the temperature
difference across the supply fan and applies this adjusted setpoint
to the "Mixed Air Node 1", "Main Cooling Coil 1 Outlet Node", and
"Main Heating Coil 1 Outlet Node".  These nodes are then specified as
the control nodes for the economizer, the heating coil, and the
cooling coil.

The "System Node Setpoint Temp" report variable is helpful in seeing
what setpoints are being placed on the various nodes.

Mike

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

4 DVDs Free +s&p Join Now