From: Ed Huerta
Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2002 5:33 PM
Subject: [EnergyPlus_Support] Re: Hello, EnergyPlus Users!!!

Hi Paulo,

I'm also a graduate student in Monterrey Mexico, and also had some
problems trying to find weather files for cities in Mexico, I wonder
too if anyone from the list knew of a web site to get such info
from.  I even thought of using the Laredo Texas, or even San
Antonio's  weather file.

But then.. I contacted the Mexican Meteorological Service though,
and they fed me some data yet not so very detailed. But that was
useful and I could put together a small weather file for my
simulation. Other than that, an option would be to run a typical day
(design day mode )for every month and watch the system's response,
and forget about weather files. It depends on to what extent you are
to take your simulation and the goal of your analysis.

Also, you may wanna use the WeatherConverter to have an easy-to-read
format of an EPW file, I recommend you to convert it to *.CVS . The
WeatherConverter should be in the package when you downloaded Eplus
1.0.2

Anyways..  hope this helps. Reading thru past messages on weather
files helped me a lot, you may probably want to do the same.

Yes... you selected the best sim. soft.: EPLUS. Thanks to the US
department of Energy
and whoever makes it free!!! I guess the goal
is to get people around the world to design for better energy
efficient buildings. Energy consumption impacts all of us and it's
an international issue we all need to work on. I hope in Mexico,
where there is only a sigle energý production utility called "CFE",
we can understand soon the need to change to more efficient energy
policies, including residential, comercial and industrial buildings.
And the energetic law itself, but politics is complex and the road
is long.

Regards
Hector
edhugar@xxxxxxxxx

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@y..., Paulo Roberto <prln@b...> wrote:
> Hello, EnergyPlus users worldwide!!!
>
> Let me introduce myself : my name is Paulo Roberto, I'm a
brazilian
> electrical engineer and I live in Rio de Janeiro. Currently, I'm
> post-graduating in Energy-Efficient Buildings. It's a matter more
> discussed here after the last year energy crisis.
> At my course, we have to use a software to calculate thermal loads
(the
> software used is VisualDOE 3.0 - just one student has it!). But
I've
> decided to use EnergyPlus for the following reasons:
>
> 1) It's free!
> 2) It reunites the best characteristics of the Blast and DOE 2-1;
> 3) It has twenty years less than DOE 2-1;
> 4) It's free!
>
> I have some doubts:
>
> 1) Are there any weather files to brazilian cities, like Rio de
Janeiro
> and São Paulo (mainly Rio de Janeiro)?
> 2) Is there any brazilian user of E+? If  exists someone, please
contact
> me: prln@b...
> 3) Are there real buildings modeled with E+ anywhere?
> 4) Did I make a good choice?
>
> Could anyone answer my questions?
>
> Sorry because my very poor English... I think I'll improve it more
> contacting with you...
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Regards,
>
> Paulo Roberto