Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] revisiting design day info

The WeatherConvertor which is being revised for V 1.0.3
now automatically produces design day data for a location
(as long as the location is in the ASHRAE 2001 Handbook).

You can then cut and paste the design days you want to use
into your input file. It includes all the possible design days that
you could generate from the ASHRAE 2001 Handbook including:

Heating 99.6% WinterDesignDay
Heating 99%   WinterDesignDay
Cooling (DB=>MWB) .4% SummerDesignDay
Cooling (DB=>MWB) 1%, SummerDesignDay
Cooling (DB=>MWB) 2%, SummerDesignDay
Cooling (WB=>MDB) .4% SummerDesignDay
Cooling (WB=>MDB) 1%  SummerDesignDay
Cooling (WB=>MDB) 2%  SummerDesignDay
Cooling (DP=>MDB) .4% SummerDesignDay
Cooling (DP=>MDB) 1%  SummerDesignDay
Cooling (DP=>MDB) 2%  SummerDesignDay

You select which design conditions most appropriate
to your design.

All of these design day data along with reprocessed
weather data for TMY2, TMY, CWEC, CTZ2, and IWEC
should be up on the EnergyPlus web site within the next
few days.

                      "Michael J.
                      Witte"                   To:       EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                      <mjwitte@xxxxxxxx        cc:
                      >                        Subject:  Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] revisiting design day info

                      11/11/2002 12:35
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      EnergyPlus_Suppor

Sorry - I hit the send button by accident before I was finished
editing.  Here's the full reply.  MJW

The design data in the weather files is from 2001 ASHRAE data.  The
datasets use pre-1997 data.  The ASHRAE data was completely redone in
the 1997 Handbook of Fundamental.  The percentage basis was seasonal
in pre-1997, now it is annual.  This, along with some other changes
in method resulted in slightly different values.

"MWS .40%" and PWD .40% are the cooling wind conditions.

The ASHRAE data is almost everything you need to define an EnergyPlus
design day.  Use "Range of DB" data for the Daily Temp Range for the
cooling day, use zero range (constant temperature) for the heating
day. Clearness is not included in the ASHRAE data.  Conservative
values are zero for a heating day (no sun), and 1.0 for a cooling
day.  Clear sunnary day clearness ranges from 0.9 at sea level in
humid region to 1.1 at high altitude.

Mike

On 9 Nov 2002, at 22:08, no_rb wrote:

> If i look at the 5zoneaircooled.idf example - the design day
> information does not completely match the info in the USA_IL_Chicago-
> Ohare_TMY2.epw/rpt file (and it did not match the blastdesign file).
> Also i cannot seem to find wind direction slot for the cooling design
> day in the weather file
>
> am i missing something or does the ashrae design day not provide
> complete information for the eplus design input?
>
> thanks in advance for any pointers.
>
> rohini

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is: