Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] infiltration

The question of typical values for these coefficients is subject to
debate.  Ideally, one should do a detailed analysis of the
infiltration situation and then determine a custom set of
coefficients using methods such as those laid out in Chapter 26 of
the ASHRAE Handbook of Fundamentals.  The EnergyPlus defaults are
1,0,0,0 which gives a constant volume flow of infiltration under all
conditions.

BLAST used the following values as defaults:  0.606, 0.0202,
0.000598, 0.  These coefficients produce a value of 1.0 at 0C deltaT
and 3.35 m/s (7.5 mph) windspeed, which corresponds to a typical
summer condition.  At a winter condition of 40C deltaT and 6 m/s
(13.4 mph) windspeed, these coefficients would increase the
infiltration rate by a factor of 2.75.

In DOE-2, the air change method defaults are (adjusted to SI units)
0, 0, 0.224 (windspeed), 0.  With these coefficients, the summer
conditions above would give a factor of 0.75, and the winter
conditions would give 1.34.  A windspeed of 4.47 m/s (10 mph) gives a
factor of 1.0.

The source of the BLAST defaults is noted in the BLAST documentation
as:

"Empirical equation and the coefficient default were determined from
ASHRAE journal articles and other data on the effects of outdoor
weather conditions."

The source of the DOE-2 defaults is based on examining the
infiltration relationships decsribed in the ASHRAE Handbook of
Fundamentals.

Mike