RE: [EnergyPlus_Support] Building of eight plans

Ned:

That is correct.  The zone multiplier will not change geometry, it
only multiplies loads.  If shading is a consideration, then
multipliers must be used only above the shade line.  Another way to
limit the number of zones described without losing the geometry is to
combine zones vertically.  You can describe 2 or more stacked zones
as a single zone that is 2 or more stories high using one tall
exterior wall and either tall windows or multiple windows, whichever
is needed to capture the shading properly.  Using the tall zone
approach, the floors/ceilings could be described as surfaces or as
internal mass.

Mike

On 15 Jan 2003, at 14:38, Edward Lyon wrote:

> When using the multiplier, Energy+ is only multiplying the load for
> the described space?  Since it is not stacking geometry,  I would need
> to describe more of a building to get proper results for a situation
> such as a tall building that is partially shaded by adjacent shorter
> buildings.  I could multiply any spaces above the highest shade line,
> but I would need full orientation data to get proper shade results for
> lower floors wouldn't I?
>
> Ned Lyon
>
> Senior Staff Engineer
> Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>
> 41 Seyon Street
> Building #1, Suite 500
> Waltham, MA  02453
>
> Phone:  781-907-9000
> Fax:  781-907-9009

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Turn flat surfaces into speakers with the Soundbug.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/QWAVSC/onCFAA/xGHJAA/dkFolB/TM