Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] basic error messages

At 11:10 AM 5/22/2003, idoebber wrote:

>I just ran my first IDF file and recieved two warning messages that I was
>wondering if it will effect my results.
>
>The first one is:
>    ** Warning ** World Coordinate System selected.  Some Zone Origins are
> non-
>       zero. These will be used in Daylighting:Detailed calculations but
> not in
>       normal geometry inputs.
>Will the fact that some of my zone origins are not at the (0,0,0) origin
>effect the simulation.

No.  The program is just warning you in case you thought you had put in the
"relative" coordinate system.  You can get good feedback that your building
is what you think by using the DXF output file and a viewer so you can
visualize your facility.

>The second one is:
>    ** Warning ** The total number of floors, walls, roofs and internal mass
>       surfaces in Zone ROOF ZONE is < 6. This may cause an inaccurate zone
>heat
>       balance calculation.
>My roof zone is just a standard triangular shape with two roof surfaces
>meeting at an apex.  Therefore this zone only has 5 surfaces.  Will this
>really hurt the heat balance simulation.  If so, should I add a very thin
>wall
>between the edge where the two roof surfaces meet so that the zone then has 6
>surfaces.

You are likely fine.  Particularly if you have enclosed your space.  If you
run the example file 1zoneuncontrolled, you will see this message as well
(it has no roof or floor) but we still accept those results as valid.

Linda

EnergyPlus WebSite: http://www.energyplus.gov
Owner: EnergyPlus_Support list
Member: EnergyPlus Development Team