Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] freezer cells

Roberto:

EnergyPlus does not have the capability to fully model refrigerated
cases and walk-in freezers, because it does not have any way to model
the frost loads.  If the refrigeration energy use is important for
your model, you should be able to get a "chilled water" loop to go
cold enough to cool these spaces.  You will need to make sure that
all of the setpoints in your system are low enough, especially the
chilled water loop setpoint and minimum temperature.  And you will
need to make some allowance for the missing frost/defrost loads.

If the refrigeration energy use is not important, but you just want
to see the impact of the cold spaces on the occupied spaces, then you
could use purchased air to hold the cold spaces at the desired
temperature.

Mike

On 28 May 2003, at 9:33, Roberto Lollini wrote:

> I'm analysing a big shopping centre with complicated (for me) HVAC
> plants. The centre is made up of several thermal zones: retail,
> offices, workings (bakery, butcher's shop, ...) and freezers
> completely inside the shopping centre envelope. There are two types of
> freezer: Normel Temperature (0-4 °C) and Low Temperature (-20 °C). I'm
> trying to simulate the performances of low temperature (-20 °C) cells
> (volume about 80 m3), but without any results, because the ambient
> temperature doesn't want to reach the set-point. I tried to use
> several kind of plants (const cop chiller with simple cooling coil and
> single duct noreheat former) also modifing the setting of the proposed
> examples, but without meet success. Is it possible in Energy+ to
> analyse this very cold kind of zone? Could anyone help me?
>
> Sorry for my bad English and for my confused explanation ...
> Thank you very much for your attention,
> Roberto

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx