Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Effect of minimal HVAC loads on simulation results

Hailey:

There is no implicit accuracy problem in the simulation for buildings
with low HVAC loads.  The primary issue for such buildings is that
the results become very sensitive to the building envelope and
internal gain characteristics.  Envelope U-values as-built are often
not as specified and infiltration is highly variable.  If trying to
match the performance of an existing building, it may be necessary to
measure the building's actual properties.  If trying to evalute a new
design, several cases should be run to try and bound the problem
using reasonable high and low values for parameters which are not
known precisely.

Mike

On 3 Jul 2003, at 0:58, c_l_hailey wrote:

> I have been doing some research into the accuracy of simulation
> programs on more innovative buildings.  Particularly, well-build
> residential buildings with A LOT of passive solar design incorporated,
> therefore requiring a minimal amount of mechanical HVAC.  These
> simulations seem to have exceptionally high margin of error when
> compared to theactual energy consumption.  Do you know if there is any
> relationship?  Does EnergyPlus not respond well to buildings with a
> HVAC system which only consumes say 30% of the structures energy?
>
> BTW - I am not very experienced with modeling, so I cannot tell you if
> there is error in the inputs of the models I am looking at.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hailey

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:
>
> Attachments are not allowed -- please post any files to the
> appropriate folder in the Files are of the Support Web Site.
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx